Saturday, December 25, 2010

The most annoying Xmas song ever...

...Plus festive wishes...

In the next few days, the Very British practice of having to endure Christmas "hits" wherever you are (since early November at least) will finally come to an end. Until next year, of course.

And so a very Happy Xmas to all - in particular emergency staff, barmaids and barmen, 24/7 shop assistants, care workers and all those who didn't have a chance to book time off over the time of the year when you're most expected to be jolly, merry, twee and festive.

In the meantime, here's my own very personal Bottom Five:

1- Do They Know It's Christmas?, Band Aid
Imagine twenty or so egomaniacs each recording their own annoying Crimbo tune packaged as "save the starving", and then proceeding to condense the end products all into one and shove it down the nation's throats for generations to come. 'Painful' doesn't even begin to cover it.

2- Fairytale of New York, The Pogues Feat. Kirsty MacColl
As a former barman, receptionist and shop assistant, I feel for the millions of staff who have to endure this non-stop from November 1st onwards.

3- Merry Christmas Everyone, Shakin' Stevens
As a former barman, receptionist and shop assistant, I feel for the millions of staff who have to endure this non-stop from November 1st onwards.

4- Santa Claus is Coming Into Town, Michael Bolton
As a former barman, receptionist and shop assistant, I feel for the millions of staff who have to endure this non-stop from November 1st onwards.

5- Merry Xmas Everybody, Slade
As a former barman, receptionist and shop assistant, I feel for the millions of staff who have to endure this non-stop from November 1st onwards. Especially the bit at the end when Noddy Holder screams IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!! into the microphone. Grating.

11 comments:

Jackart said...

Merry christmas. I must take issue with "fairy tale of new york" making into your list: it's the only xmas song which doesn't make me want to stab someone, but I understand that as a former barman myself...

Anyway long may we be free to disagree in joyous harmony. If everyone agrees, everyone's wrong.

I wish you a merry christmas and a prosperous and happy new year.

claude said...

A very merry Xmas to you too, Jackart. And yes, disagreeing is good :-) Here's to many a debate in the new year.

Bob Piper said...

Bloody hell. It must be the season of goodwill because I'm with Jackart on this. Any song repeated ad nauseum becomes, well... nauseating. But Shane's Fairytale is beautiful and will, unlike the other dross listed, will be a folksong for generations to come.

Happy New Year all, and hostilities will recommence after the ceasefire.

Stan Moss said...

Happy New Year to all in the hope that some people finally see sense!

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Belated Merry Christmas to all, even the daft racists.

thepatriot said...

Merry Christmas one and all, sorry I'm such a twat, I'll try to be less racist next year and to support Birmingham City instead.

xxxx

thepatriot said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
claude said...

I suppose I forgot Jingle Bell Rock. That really gets my heckles up.

thepatriot said...

See if you delete this you fucks. I never left that comment the other day.

thepatriot said...

Yeah you fucks, remove that comment I made now otherwise I'll send in Houllier to fuck you up, you fucks you!

Anonymous said...

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really detest that Slade song and specifically that shouty bit at the end. And the fucking thing gets in your head and sticks for hours. Ah well, all gone for another 10 months.